We are pleased to announce a new addition to our annual writing contests!
Every Who on the Palouse liked writing a lot.
“So, why not have a Christmas contest,” they thought.
“No need to be serious, grinchy, and glum,
The prizes should be silly and a little bit fun.”
So, Who scribbles, scrawlers, and scratchers, regardless of age,
crafted tales endearing and, perhaps, a little bit sage.
Then they mailed their stories off by the first of November,
With hopes of winning a fruitcake in early December!
Contest is open to anyone. Contest rules and submission guidelines are below. Multiple submissions are allowed and can be mailed in the same envelope.
1st Prize, Christmas Fruitcake
2nd Prize, Leg Lamp Ornament
3rd Prize, Grinch Pencils
Christmas Story Contest Rules
- This is a short story contest. Story length must not exceed 6,500 words.
- All manuscripts must be printed on 8 ½” X 11” white paper, with 1” margins, ragged right margin, and story must begin 1/3 of the way down the first page.
- All entries must be double spaced and use Times New Roman font in 12-point size.
- Include the following information in the header: 2021 Christmas Contest / Story Title / Page #
- DO NOT place your name anywhere on the manuscript.
- Manuscripts may be printed on one or both sides of the paper. (We prefer both sides because it saves paper.)
- Previously published works will not be accepted.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Mail three copies of each entry to:
Palouse Writers Guild
1006 Francis Ave.
Clarkston, WA 99403
- Include a cover sheet with your name, contact information, and the title(s) of your submission(s).
- If you are under 18, please include your age on the cover sheet. (There will not be a youth category, but we’re always curious to know how many young writers are participating in our events.)
- All entries must be postmarked no later than November 1, 2021.
- Submission fee is $5 per entry. Submission fee can be paid either by check or online. Checks should be made out to the Palouse Writers Guild and included with your entry. If you pay online, print a copy of your receipt and include it with your submission. Online payments will not be accepted after November 1, 2021.
Winners will be announced at 6 PM on Friday, December 3, 2021 during the TGIO post-NaNo get-together. (Stay tuned for more details about this event.) Manuscripts and judges’ rubrics will be available for pick-up after the winners are announced. Any manuscripts not collected the night of the event will be destroyed.