The Palouse Writers Guild and the Palouse Chapter of the Idaho Writers League are pleased to sponsor a 2021 Short Story Writing Contest.
The Palouse Writers Guild 2021 writing contest is open to all people regardless of whether they are members of the Palouse Writers Guild. Only novice writers who have never been published (traditional or self-published) may enter the short story contest. Please adhere to contest rules and submission guidelines.
1st Prize, $50 and 1 year membership in the Palouse Chapter of the Idaho Writers League
2nd Prize, $25 and 1 year membership in the Palouse Chapter of the Idaho Writers League
3rd Prize, 1 year membership in the Palouse Chapter of the Idaho Writers League
- Stories must be limited to 3,000 words and may be on any theme or genre except erotica.
- All manuscripts must be printed on 8 ½” X 11” white paper, with 1” margins, ragged right margin, and chapter must begin 1/3 of the way down the first page.
- All manuscripts must be double spaced and use Times New Roman font in 12 point size.
- Include the following information in the header: 2021 Short Story Contest / Story Title / Page #
- DO NOT place your name anywhere on the manuscript.
- Manuscripts may be printed on one or both sides of the paper. (We prefer both sides because it saves paper.)
- Judges decisions are final.
- Mail two copies of your entry to: Palouse Writers Guild, PO Box 52, Viola, ID 83872.
- Include a cover sheet with your name, contact information, and the title(s) of your submission(s).
- If you are under 18 years of age, include age on your cover sheet.
- Multiple submissions are allowed and can be mailed in the same envelope.
- All entries must be post marked no later than February 15, 2021.
- Submission fee is $10 per entry. Submission fee can be paid either by check or online. Checks should be made out to the Palouse Writers Guild and included with your entry. If you pay online, print a copy of your receipt and include it with your submission. Online payments will not be accepted after February 15, 2021.
Judges will be members of the Palouse Chapter of the Idaho Writers League. It’s the story that counts. Stories will be judged on storytelling ability, plot, and emotional impact. Previously published writers are not permitted to enter. Manuscripts and judges’ rubrics will be available for pick-up after the winners are announced. Any manuscripts not collected the night of the event will be destroyed.